Subscribe to The Lance Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook

JV football starts conference season 1-0

Kyle Murray, Staff Writer
September 17, 2012
Filed under Football, Top Stories

After a 1-1 start to the season with a loss against King and then a victory against Lake Forest, the JV Chargers took the Field on September 7th against the Gordon Tech Rams in the home and Chicago Catholic League Red conference opener. St. Joes won 16-6 with a dominating defense

The game started at 5:00 at the new home for Charger football, Elmhurst College. It was a very exciting game. The Charger defense held Gordon Tech to very little yards in the first half, giving the Charger offense good field position every time.

The first touchdown of the game came in the first quarter with a Chris Morrow pass to Byron Robertson. The Chargers missed their two point conversion, settling for the lead 6-0. A couple of possessions later, the Chargers defense forced a safety against Gordon Tech. The halftime score was 8-0.

The second half didn’t start well for the Chargers as the Rams ran the ball into the end zone, a missed 2point conversion kept the lead with St. Joe’s, though.  Later in the third quarter, the Chargers scored on a touchdown run.  For most of the fourth quarter the scored remained 14-6. Late in the fourth quarter the Rams were deep in their own territory but a safety caused by sophomore Adonis White sealed a Chargers victory. The Chargers ran the rest of the clock out with a quarterback kneel. The final score was 16-6.

The defense was a key in the Charger victory led by Adonis White and Isaiah Allen. The offensive line kept quarterback Chris Morrow off the ground for most of the game, and gave holes to running back Carlton Lawrence. Wide Receivers Willie Eiland and Byron Robertson led the team in receiving yards.

The Chargers started their conference season with a 16-6 victory over the Gordon Tech Rams. This Friday night the Chargers will play conference foe St Ignatius. Even with a 1-0 start to the conference season, the St. Joe’s Charger JV team still has a lot to accomplish this season as they look to get another conference title.

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!