Playing the Game

St. Joseph Alum helps other in Money Management

Building relationships in one’s career is often associated with helping professions, such as teaching, nursing, or counseling. Financial planning would not make that list for most people. Paul Remack, SJHS Class of ’67, would convince one that building relationships is at the heart of his profession. “Finances permeate so many aspects of one’s personal and professional life,” Paul shared from his home is California, “that one can’t help but get to know a family, on both a professional and an emotional level.”

For the past 35 years, Paul has helped individuals and families navigate the challenges of ever-changing and dynamic economic environments.  In the process he developed client relationships that, in many cases, have lasted more than 30 years and spanned two and three generations.  To many of his clients he is known as ‘Coach’.

Upon graduating from St. Leonard’s in Berwyn, Paul came to St. Joseph High School at his mother’s insistence. After a successful academic career as a Charger, graduating eighth out of a class of 295, Paul attended Bradley University.  Earning a Bachelor of Arts in History with magna cum laude honors, Paul later earned a Master of Arts in History from the University of Southern California. His career plans led him to further education in becoming a Certified Financial Planner and a Certified Professional Fiduciary. He earned a Master of Science in Taxation from Golden Gate University in 1992.

Paul’s impetus to write a book on financial planning originated from a desire to express a gratitude. “I have been very fortunate that I have been surrounded in my profession with amazing people – clients, advisors and other professionals. I wanted to give back to a career that has been good to me.” His plan to write the book followed a concrete schedule. “On Jan. 1st of 2014, I wrote an outline of the book. On the first day of January of 2015, I revisited the outline and made a few small changes but I was happy overall with the plan. I used 2015 to write the book and, beginning in January of 2016, I did my editing and my data collection to substantiate my tenets.”

Paul believes the book will serve a wide-range of readers. “A lot of people make important financial decisions with either a limited amount of information or without the time necessary to reflect on decisions that need to be made. I want to slow the process down so that when people make decisions those decisions are well-considered and appropriate as opposed to fast and sloppy which come to haunt us later. In short, I want to make smart people smarter and people who have not given serious thought to their finances an awareness of what needs to be considered.”

In his book Playing the Game, Paul expounds on the value of and strategies for wealth transfer and distribution. With the emphasis on sound decision-making skills, Paul guides his readers through analyzing investment opportunities, and related decisions, which allow a person to successfully pass on resources to children and grandchildren. “Wealth transfer and distribution is a game,” Paul suggests, “and if played poorly―or if it is not realized a game is being played―one’s fortune can be eaten away by a combination of poor investments and unfair taxation.”

With his book, Paul hopes to build virtual relationships so that if personal contact isn’t possible,             at least he still believes he will have touched the lives of others in important ways. Playing the Game is             now available online in electronic form or hard copy at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and independent             bookstores everywhere.  For more information, google:  www.playingthegame-book.com.

Paul, congratulations on a tremendous career and best wishes assisting others through your book!

• Playing the Game

Top Stories

St. Joseph students partake in nationwide walkout over school safety

• Playing the Game

Top Stories

Career Day another Success

• Playing the Game

Top Stories

To work…Or not to work

• Playing the Game

Top Stories

Juniors prepping for life-changing Test

• Playing the Game

Top Stories

Wanna Get Away? Here’s our list of the best places to go for Christmas Break

• Playing the Game

Top Stories

The best tunes to get you in the Christmas Spirit

• Playing the Game

Top Stories

Getting in the Holiday Spirit – Our ranking of the best Christmas movies

• Playing the Game

Top Stories

Helping those in need, one meal at a time

• Playing the Game

Top Stories

St. Joseph honors those stricken with breast cancer with awareness day

• Playing the Game

Top Stories

Movin’ on Up

Playing the Game