Bringing back boy bands

Jorie Calabrese, Staff Editor

Recently, boy bands have been making a comeback. The All American Rejects, Action Item, All Time Low, Allstar Weekend – and that’s just some of the bands that start with the letter “A”. However, breaking the traditional boy band stereotype of attractive males doing choreographed dances to pop songs that make girls swoon, boy bands today are taking on a more pop-rock feel.

Teenage girls have always had a special place in their hearts and on their walls for boy bands that sing about love and partying – adding in the bands playing their own instruments has only upped the ante. Fan support is just as crazy for this new type of boy band as it always has been. Fans have got a rock band; The Cab’s self-produced sophomore album Symphony Soldier within the top ten of the U.S. iTunes Album chart and a pop-punk band, All Time Low’s album Dirty Work, which dropped this June, debuted at #6 on the Billboard 200. Whether it’s small venue or huge arenas, tours featuring bands like The Maine, Boys Like Girls, and We The Kings are packed with screaming girls.

While this new type of boy band seems to be taking over the music industry, the traditional type is still alive and well. This summer New Kids on the Block and the Backstreet Boys, both popular boy bands of the 90’s, toured together in America, and currently have tickets out for a spring 2012 tour around Europe and Australia. Big Time Rush, a boy band from the Nickelodeon show of the same name, is going on tour this winter, with opening act One Direction, a boy band from the X-Factor U.K.

What do you think? Are you a fan of old-school boy bands, or this new wave of boy bands that rock out on their own instruments? Let us know in the comment section!