“What Money Can’t Buy” is well worth a donation

Jorie Calabrese, Staff Editor

Pop-punk band The Summer Set has gotten into the holiday spirit by releasing a Christmas EP entitled What Money Can’t Buy. The Arizona-based quintet produced the EP themselves, and 100% of the profits benefit the Toys For Tots Foundation. The EP can be purchased at the group’s bandcamp page (thesummerset.bandcamp.com) with a minimum donation fee of $2.00.

What Money Can’t Buy contains three tracks, and kicks off with “Something ‘Bout This Time of Year”, written by Mike Daly of Whiskeytown. The song’s quick tempo and lyrics about the small things money can’t buy are a great start to a holiday EP. The song’s melody is complimented by guitarist John Gomez’s shared lead vocals.

The second track is “Love On Our Mind”, a song about having love on your side and getting home for the holidays. The song was originally released on an earlier EP, which received little attention, and was re-released on this album.

The EP ends with the slower track, “Old Mexico”. Lead singer, Brian Dales, duets with a high school friend, singing about running away to old Mexico with the girl of your dreams. While not a typical Christmas song, the love of the holiday season shows through in the lyrics. Christmas bells heard softly in the background give the song a holiday feel that would otherwise be lacking, and tie the song in the rest of the album.