St. Joseph High School is “fine” with dress code changes

St. Joseph High School is

Mark Tomera, Staff Writer

Over this past summer, there have been many positive changes to St. Joseph High School, most noticeably the difference in the dress code policy. Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, students will be required to serve a detention for a dress code violation. In previous school years, students were issued a fine of $5.00 for each time they were out of dress code. However, many students did not pay their fines or had their parents pay them and this caused a great deal of concern among the administration as to whether or not students were learning from the mistakes by violating the dress code. Many famous people say that life is all about learning from mistakes. If this is indeed true, then how are students learning from mistakes by paying fines?

At the beginning of the school year, many students were shocked when they received detentions for infractions such as not wearing their I.D.’s. Many teachers believe that detentions force a student to learn from their mistakes, because a detention requires a student to stay after school, sitting in a classroom doing absolutely nothing. In the real world, if an employee comes to work out of dress code, their employer will take strict disciplinary action against them, possibly even firing them. St. Joseph High School’s handbook states that the dress code is aimed at preparing students for life in the real world, and if people need to serve detentions every day for a dress code infraction, this is a change for the better.