S.A.D.D. Club

S.A.D.D. Club

Kaitlyn Huscher, Staff Writer

St. Joseph High Schools’ club, S.A.D.D. (Students Against Destructive Decisions), is an organization moderated by Ms. Pollack.  The club focuses on life-threatening consequences of destructive decisions many teenagers face, such as smoking, drugs, alcohol, STD’s, suicide, and not taking precautions when driving.  This club helps students become aware of the dangers teens face, and also teaches students how to deal with these problems.

S.A.D.D. exists nationally throughout schools, and was founded with the name “Students Against Drunk Driving.”  St. Joseph High School takes it a step further by incorporating many challenges teenagers go through during high school, therefore making it “Destructive Decisions.”  Ms. Pollack says that since its debut in this school it has become a recurring club that has actually been requested by some students.    

The S.A.D.D. club follows a special calendar which states what the next event or focus will be.  “During the meetings we discuss what we can do for the next event,” says Ms. Pollack.  “One of the events coming up is Red Ribbon Week, which is the last week of October.”  She says that this week is one of the most important weeks of the year for S.A.D.D.  Like last year, S.A.D.D. members plan to pass out flyers stressing the importance of being drug free.  Ms. Pollack has already suggested some things that S.A.D.D. can do for this week, such as selling Red Ribbon bracelets during lunch that will say “Cure Addiction.”  The proceeds from the bracelets will go to the entire S.A.D.D. organization.  “This week focuses majorly on teen’s use of alcohol and other drugs,” Ms. Pollack said.  “Another idea for Red Ribbon Week is to have every student paint one nail red, to show that they are drug free.”

Although the club centers around students making the right decisions, Ms. Pollack sees the club as an opportunity to promote self-esteem and build a student’s confidence.  Similar to last year, Ms. Pollack plans to post affirmations around the school.  These signs will have positive and reassuring messages such as “You are worth more than you can possibly imagine.”  Ms. Pollack says, “These signs are for those troubled students that need a simple message to make them feel better.”  She says S.A.D.D. is not only for Students Against Destructive Decisions but also for Supporting and Developing Dignity.

Members of S.A.D.D. will be promoting awareness about certain causes throughout the year.  If you’re interested in joining S.A.D.D., see Ms. Pollack in room 401.  This club can be a great benefit for students that may be going through some difficult times.