Finally, Finals Are Here

???????

Kaitlyn Huscher, Staff Writer

With the first semester slowly coming to an end, winter finals are just around the corner.  For some, especially the freshmen who are taking finals for the first time, preparing for these exams can be very frustrating and stressful.  But there’s no need to panic before the test.  With some helpful tips and advice, preparing for finals can be both simple and efficient.

One of the most important tips is to start studying early.  A few weeks before the exams, start gathering your papers together and organize the notes that you need to study for each class.  Outline everything you need to review; highlighting, using note-cards, summarizing and making flashcards are good ways to group together important information.  With these outlines, you won’t need to cram notes into your head the day before the final.  Instead, you can spread out what you need to study and have enough time to study each subject.  While outlining, remember to get help quickly if you don’t understand something.

If you’re a “night owl” or don’t eat breakfast in the morning, it’s helpful to change your routine weeks before you take the test.  Sleep is very important, and according to The American Academy of Sleep Medicine, teenagers should get at least nine to ten hours of sleep every night; a well-rested mind will help you concentrate for the exams.  If you’re exhausted and sleep-deprived you won’t remember any of the material that you studied.  Make sure to be wide awake and alert the morning of the test; it will definitely benefit you.  As for breakfast, a study by Tufts University states that “[breakfast] shows an increase in attention and memory.”  Like a good-night’s sleep, breakfast will keep you focused and energized during the exam.  Don’t go into the test without eating at least a small breakfast beforehand, otherwise your mind will be on nothing but how hungry you are.

On the day of the test, make sure you have all necessary materials, such as pencils and pens, erasers, a calculator, scratch paper, etc.  Bring extra writing utensils as well.  If a teacher has allowed you to use notes on an exam, remember to bring them.  Coming prepared is essential for finals, because it gives you time to look over your review sheets and be ready for the test without having to rush and cram.

Finals are not as bad as they seem when you have everything you need to take them.  Take some time these next few weeks to start preparing for finals; you will be glad you did.