New Teacher Profile – Ms. Stanford

Tylisha Jackson, Staff Writer

Theresa Stanford is a new English teacher here at St. Joseph High School, in room 107. Before St. Joe’s, she was a make-up trainer for Louis Vuitton for 5 years and spent 4 months at a Clinical Young Women’s School in Bronzeville. On Thursdays, Ms. Stanford will be supervising in the lunchroom until 6:15 p.m. This will also give student a chance to ask for help. She will also be moderator for FBLA.

Q: How long have you been a teacher?

A: This is her first year at St. Joseph High School.

Q: Why do you teach English?

A: “I am Teaching English for humanity aspect. There is a certain emotional wellbeing that comes from understanding others through literature.”

Q: So far how do you like St. Joseph?

A: She likes it a lot, and she noticed that the student are different and have different backgrounds

Q: What advice would you give a student about becoming a teacher?

A: “Only do it if you heart is in it, if not, there are always other options.”

Q: What advice would you give seniors about college?

A: “Be an Activist! Not only for a cause but your life in general. Travel, meet people, and put yourself out there.”

Q: What College or university did you go to, and what was your major, etc?

A: My Undergrad is in English-Literature from College of DuPage, with a minor in Wood Working-Welding, I have my Master’s Degree in Education.

Q)    Q: Who is your favorite author?

A: Fyodor Dostoesky- Russia

Q: What kind of music do you like?

A: “I like Punk Rock, and also The Lawrence Arms, Tiger Army, Gin Blossoms, Dolly Parton, and music from the 90’s. I was classically trained in the opera and still take lessons.”

i)        Was classically trained in the opera and still takes lessons

Q: What do you do during your free time?

A: “I like traveling.” Also – Motorcycle and Archery. She does not watch television.

Q: What is your favorite quote?

A: “Dostoevsky had a story called ‘White Nights’, about cherishing what you have when you have it – “only a moment of Bliss? Isn’t such a moment sufficient for the whole of a man’s life?”