No more Mr. Hotek, but his replacement brings years of experience to the table

Alphonso Adams, Staff writer

St. Joseph has a new religion teacher by the name of Mr. Joseph Fedinec.

He has served the Diocese of Joliet, and Arch Diocese of Chicago for 18 years in Catholic Education on the elementary and high school levels teaching sacramental preparation, Sacred Scripture, and Church Doctrines especially the Church’s teachings on morality and social justice.  He was a volunteer for chaplain with the Illinois Department of Corrections for over 20 years.  Earlier in his vocation, he served as a Domestic missionary at Nazareth Farm in Center Point West Virginia, where he serves the poor in Doddridge County, also in West Virginia.

Mr. Fedinec worked with the YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago serving youth families and gang intervention programs. Fedinec is currently a certified catechist, a commissioned Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist.

He’s certified in Theology of the Body for teens. He has been teaching for 18 years, as a religion teacher. He chose religion because of his love for the bible.

Mr. Fedinec received a degree in communications in his college years, and in his free time he loves to watch superhero movies, mostly Marvel, play with his 3 children, especially his 2-year-old daughter. He enjoys playing with Legos with his family and read comic books.

Lastly Mr. Fedinec loves to read.

The best advice Mr. Fedinec has gotten is “Be true to yourself no matter what people think and put God over all things.”

Thus far, Mr. Fedinec loves working at St. Joseph, he loves the students and the school itself. He also said if he wasn’t a teacher, he would have loved to be a priest, and if not teaching religion, he would love to teach science, because they are both science and religion teachings are similar.