The Blank Canvas

Melissa Hollingshed, Staff Writer

“All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.” – Pablo Picasso. Students are taught that their top classes English and Math are the most important subjects to become successful in life. In truth, they’re setting aside other beautiful talents just to be molded into the same person going for the same occupation that may not exist when they graduate. Although some people go to school hoping to increase their creativity by learning new material each day, in reality they are limiting their imaginations by doing repetitive work, replacing individualism and originality with commonality and decreasing the power to think out of the box due to their fear of being wrong.

A reason as to why creativity is being killed in schools is how repetitive work is being set into students’ minds causing the slow death of many innovative ideas. Maya Angelou once said, “Each of us has that right, that possibility, to invent ourselves daily. If a person does not invent herself, she will be invented. So, to be bodacious enough to invent ourselves is wise.” If students are taught to think over and over the same material they soon forget how to think for themselves in the unique ways people all have when they were children. Soon enough, their minds are shaped into something they never intended on wanting it to be. By doing the same work and depending on the same curriculum the students of tomorrow will be clones of each other.

School in a way makes individualism frown upon and commonality more often at times accepted. “In fact mistakes are punished, conformity is rewarded and what we really expect is regurgitation of information”, (Teaching Expertise, April 2005). This statement is true because if direct answers are given to students time after time they learn to answer questions with no special flare or feeling. By doing repetitive work students are not up to try new activities that require brain work.

The fear of being incorrect can lead to close minded thinking. “If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” –Sir Ken Robinson. Originality is something that you and only you should be able to come up with and should be unheard of. Since most people are taught alike most of their ideas are the same. If creativity is pushed into students more they will develop original ideas eventually have a huge impact on the world. The idea of an education is to give knowledge that will prepare the student for the future. With little creativity, graduates will be coming out of school uncreative which will cause the dilemma of not helping to improve their present world.

Creativity is one of the most important topics to be discussed in every single subject. Without creative minds people become closed minded, think the same as everyone else, and become so use to the same things over and over again they’ll never try anything new. Although some people go to school hoping to increase their creativity by learning new material each day, in reality they are limiting their imaginations by doing repetitive work, replacing individualism and originality with commonality and decreasing the power to think out of the box due to their fear of being wrong. Albert Einstein has said, “The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.”