Getting ready for the ‘Big One’

Julee Paradee, Staff writer

The ACT is a standardized test used for college admissions in the United States. It was introduced in November 1959 by the University of Iowa professor Everett Franklin Lidquist. The ACT was a competitor to the scholastic Aptitude Test. It is currently administered by the ACT, a nonprofit organization of the same name.

The ACT is not practiced enough in schools in 2018. At St. Joseph High School, the students have not gotten enough practice for one of the biggest tests that they will have to take. The ACT is not something that you just wake up one day and take, you have to prepare for months at a time in order to get a decent grade on this test.

So far the students at St. Joseph have not gotten enough preparation for this test that they are taking in about four months. None of the students at St. Joseph are mentally ready for this big of a test, and at this rate will never be with the lack of help they are receiving for the test. The juniors at St. Joe’s have gotten their practice ACT scores back knowing that they could have done way better than they did if they had the right amount of preparation.

Juniors at Joe’s have only done practice ACT’s in one class, English. Yes, English may be a very important part of the ACT, but so are all of the other basic subjects, history, science, reading and writing, etc.

Some may argue that practicing too much for this test may result in stress while trying to keep up with your other studies in school. It may be true that it might be difficult to try to keep up with ACT practice and regular school work too. You do not want to be stressed out your entire Junior year, that is fair.

In the end, isn’t it better to be over prepared than underprepared. Nobody wants to fail a test that says if you get into college or not. So being over prepared will help you in the long run. St. Joseph high school needs more preparation for the ACT coming up in four months so that the juniors do not have to stress about not getting into their top schools.

Getting ready for the ‘Big One’