Getting the most out of our high school experience

Alexis Holmes, Correspondent

Teens nowadays are the perfect example of what will happen if parents never invite their kids to go above and beyond. They give everything to their children. It used to be that you’d remain highly fortunate if you had to take the parents ‘ old beat-up car once you became sixteen. If you needed something else, you could take the job and spend on it yourself because it was triggering a sense of obligation. Today, We find 16-year-olds with trucks and Priuses directly off the deal. That causes teens to be less ready for the reality than ever before. A huge chunk of that is because of parents coddling their kids.

According to the fascinating piece from the Guardian, ” more than one period of 20 to 34-year old are even experiencing with their parents according to recent statistics; If our school board changed the curriculum just a little bit to incorporate “real world” skills, High Schools could be preparing students to lead more progressive lives and lead us to a better future. The classes should teach things such as caring for a home, interview skills, maintaining a car, balancing a budget, education on credit, etc. This would teach us to be more responsible earlier allowing us to lead our own lives sooner, instead of depending on our guardians after high school.

It’s becoming clear and clearer that school at all levels is not preparing us enough for the real world. Unlike high school, college or varsity, life does not have an exam and a memorandum. School is designed in such a way that it is programmatic and hence we study under a program. The truth is that life doesn’t have any programs; you create your own. Life after school is usually frustrating for most people as they feel stripped away from their souls because of the eight to four jobs. The rhythm and routines of an eight to four and once-a-month income job breed a boring and uninspired life.

It is this duty of schools to prepare students for this real life. Every point of education is planning for the next step and high education contribute to reality. It does not necessarily want to change any core theoretical courses. It could take additional to those classes. Students are allowed more electives and the benefit of knowing finances will assist them with a solid starting in their time. Think if students leaving high school with a solid understanding on interest rates, investments, assets, obligations, student loans, credit papers, taxes, etc. They could not only change their own economic power, but in exchange could end up changing the US economy by being investors. Students spend four years of their lives attending high school.

Going through high school is supposed to prepare them for college and “the real world.” Taking part-time jobs has become the phenomenon among high school students, and many students follow this trend as well. This could lead to some advantages; however, there are also some disadvantages. Though it may seem like working throughout high school is a bad idea, it could better prepare students for “the real world.” Although some people believe that the primary duty of a student is studying.

High school is a place for experience. In high school, students not only prepare for the academics, extracurricular activities but also for the real world and real world contains relationships, dating, socializing and other things like that and dating in high school provides them enough experience to tackle the outside world. By dating, they not only feel companionship of someone but also gives them a wide opportunity to be with the kind of the person they would like to be with. The high schoolers who are dating now, can act and handle a relationship more maturely than a high schooler who has never.

Adults are not the only ones who are concerned about what students are learning and not learning in the classrooms. Aliezah Hulett, who was a student at Windsor High School in California, said in her “Preparing Students for the Real World” TED-Ed Clubs talk that schools need to teach more real-life skills to their students. Hulett encouraged students and educators to push for more education regarding the metric system, taxes, basics of a resume, car maintenance, how to cook more than grilled cheese sandwiches, CPR training, and sex education so that students are able to understand concepts in more relevant contexts.

Instead of putting the emphasis on what truly matters, preparing students for the real life and time after high school, students are needed to make the make up their effort and time. And as any senior high school student knows, it is difficult to get time for hours of preparation while attempting to calculate their health, the business and sports. Students should be able to select their own courses because it could make them greater for the real-life Students could get more need to teach and go to school if they were given the chance to choose their own courses instead of being needed to take specific courses in order to graduate.

Once high schools decide to change their curriculum enough so that more children can learn valuable life values other than the basic education everyone needs to follow there to get the degree they tried so hard for. Once schools start realizing that  that there not actually doing everything they can do to prepare you and start to see how many people are first year college dropouts; and not because it wasn’t for them, or they couldn’t pay the tuition but because they have spent 4 years of there life not being taught how to take care of themselves or manage bills with schoolwork and a job. These are the valuable lessons that many people end up missing if their parents aren’t really involved and the school doesn’t explain/ shown then how to live out in the real world.