Chargers Lose First 2 Games on Self Inflicted Errors, while JV dominates Lake Forest on Labor Day

Kyle Murray, Staff Writer

The St. Joseph Varsity football team lost 42-13 Friday August 24th against the King College prep Jaguars. The game was played at a neutral site, Eckersall stadium in Chicago, but was a home game for King.

Even though the Chargers played a tough game and never stopped fighting, they could not pull out a victory mostly because of self inflicted errors. The Chargers mostly beat themselves Friday evening with multiple mistakes. Early in the game St. Joes was looking good, but once King got the ball the Chargers could not tackle the Jaguar running backs. Also a high long snap that went over the punter’s head hurt the Chargers. The game was really never out of hand though until late in the second half.

The first touchdown of the game was a red-zone touchdown pass from Casey Scalise to Ulrich Molina early in the first half. The touchdown gave early momentum to the Chargers. On the following kick off King had an 80 yard kick return for a Touchdown, but a failed two-point conversion kept St. Joes ahead. On the next St. Joe possession there was a bad snap on 4th down and gave the Jaguars good field position in which they scored. The Jaguars scored 26 points in the first half. Even though the Chargers were down 20 points at halftime they didn’t quit.

King scored quickly again in the third quarter. Midway through the second half Brandon Johnson had a 48 yard touchdown run. This touchdown got everyone excited and the Chargers gained hope. The Jaguars scored again after a couple Charger mistakes. The game ended with a 42-13 final score. The game was a lot closer then the score indicated. The offensive and defensive lines played a hard fought game. The defensive secondary didn’t let up many pass yards either.

Last Saturday September 1st the St. Joes Varsity squad took the field for their second game of the season against the Lake Forest Academy Caxys. The game started out well for the Chargers. On their second drive of the game they took it all the way down field and scored on a run by QB Casey Scalise. The Caxys scored on the following possession with a very long touchdown pass. The Chargers scored again on a touchdown pass from Casey Scalise to Demetrius Morrow. There were multiple turnovers by St. Joe’s, a Interception that was taken for a touchdown, and two fumbles recovered by lake Forest that setup scores. All of but one of the Caxys touchdown were on self inflicted errors by St. Joes. At half time the score was 26-12. Like the first game this one was never over either. The second half the Chargers couldn’t score. The Charger defense led by Senior Linebacker Rec Calvin didn’t let Lake Forest get many yards and didn’t let Lake Forest get many opportunity’s to score. The main reason for this defeat, just as the first game was because of mental errors. If it wasn’t for the turnovers and mental mistakes this game would have been a lot closer.

On Saturday August 25th the Junior Varsity Chargers also played against King. They played at King High School on Saturday morning. It was a very exciting game. St. Joes was down 16-0 at halftime because of two rush touchdowns by King. Also St Joe’s starting quarterback got injured early in the first half. In the second half the Chargers scored first on a fumble by King taken to the house by Keyshawn Gist, but the Chargers failed the two-point conversion. The St. Joe’s defense stepped up in the second half with two sacks from Isaiah Allen and a couple more tackles from Carlton Lawrence. The Chargers scored again on a 30 yard touchdown run by Carlton Lawrence because of great blocking. The two-point conversion was successful on a quarterback sneak by Byron Robertson. At the end of the fourth quarter the Chargers had a chance to take the lead but could not convert. The final score was 16-14, a devastating first lost for the Junior Varsity Chargers.

This past Monday, Labor Day, the Chargers beat Lake Forest Academy by a score of 50-12. The whole game was controlled by St. Joes as they got the ball after a fumble on Lake Forest on the first play of the game. Then a touchdown pass by Chris Morrow gave the lead to the Chargers. A 34-0 lead at half time gave the Chargers a taste of victory. The defense led the way by not letting up a point through the whole first half. The offensive line also had a great game as they made holes for running back Carlton Lawrence. Let’s hope this momentum keeps up for the first conference game on Friday night.

Even though the Season has started a little rough for both teams the Chargers have their home opener, and conference opener this Friday night. The game will be played at Elmhurst College, the new home field for the Chargers. Hope is not gone for the Charger Varsity squad. They can still win their conference and have a shot at the IHSA State Playoffs.