Dance, dance, dance!

2012-13 St. Joe’s Dance Team

Paris Morgan, Staff Writer

Somebody once said, “Great dancers aren’t great because of their technique; they are great because of their passion.” As the dance season is rapidly getting into full effect, the dance team is preparing for an amazing season filled with many new things. The dance team’s new coach is St. Joes alumna Jessica Freeman, class of 2007. Coach Jessica says “I am looking forward to seeing my dance team perform at a competitive level and be amazing at it!” After placing ninth in the state championship last season, the dance team has one goal in mind: WIN STATE! Regional competition will take place on Saturday, December 15, 2012 at Huntley High School.

Juniors Marlee Polak and Brittany Winbush have been named the captains of the Varsity Dance Team. Marlee has high expectations. “[I expect]for the team to work ourselves to the best of our ability.” On the other hand Brittany says, “This season is our comeback season. We’re going to work harder than before and push ourselves. A new coach, a fresh start.” Under the leadership of Coach Jessica and the captains, the dance team has been working tremendously hard. The team is currently preparing a homecoming routine as well as competition routine.

Some people underestimate the dance team. Dance is listed as a sport under IHSA (Illinois High School Association) in which schools in good standing may enter one team. Even though the team may not have several games or competition like other sports, the team is still capable of bringing home a trophy and the title of state champions to our school. Everyone should be on the look out for the 2012-2013 St. Joe’s dance team because they plan to bring some heat to the table. No holding back, this is their year to shine.