St. Joseph Girls Volleyball Teams play against Gordon Tech

Tara and Rachel Luzack

Laura Kristie, Staff

The St. Joseph High School Lady Chargers Volleyball Team played against Gordon Tech High School on September 25 at St. Joseph High School. All three levels of the volleyball program played. The freshmen team played at four-thirty, junior varsity five-thirty and the varsity at six-thirty.

For the freshmen girls’ volleyball team this was their very first home game, but not their first game in conference. Their record in conference is 3 and 2.They started off strong against Gordon Tech. They continued staying strong by getting their serves over and hits in the court. They won their first game of the match 25 to12. In the second game of the match the freshmen continued playing strong. They beat Gordon Tech 25 to 16.The freshmen won their first home game. Freshmen setter, Jada Rhodes said afterwards “It was a really good game overall. We were communicating like a real team.” Jada hopes that their team will continue to work together as a team and to continue playing their best at their next game. The freshmen team’s next game will be during homecoming week on October 3rd against Morton.

The junior varsity volleyball team record in conference is 4 and 1. The Junior Varsity team played Gordon Tech and took the match to 3 games. The first game was very close, but the JV team came out with a victory in the end. With a score of was 25 to 23. The second game of the match the Gordon Tech Rams came back, 11 to 25. During the third match the Chargers continued to play hard. But were defeated by Gordon Tech the score at the end was 20 to 25.  Coach Valencia said, “They did really good; they kept pushing even though two of their starters were injured.” Coach Valencia hopes for the season to end on a high note, by winning conference.

The varsity team played a great game against Gordon Tech. During the first game of the match, the Lady Chargers fought hard to win 25 to 23.  Many of players, such as Gabby Foster had numerous kills during the game, where the other just team could not dig the ball.  During the second game the cheering crowd and help the varsity keep up the momentum and win 25 to12.

It was a great day for the Lady Chargers.