Bears still defined by their defense

Bears still defined by their defense

Chris Donaldson, Staff Writer

Even though the Chicago Bears made some major additions to their offence over off-season, the Bears can still hang their hat on having one of the best defenses in the NFL. The Bears 41-3 dismantling of the Jacksonville Jaguars is just one instant of the Bears defense at work.

The Bears intercepted,Jacksonvillequarterback Blaine Gabbert, twice and returned both of them for touchdowns. That makes the second straight game where the Bears took two interceptions back for touchdowns. It also marks the first time two teammates, Charles Tillman and Lance Brigges, returned interceptions for touchdowns in back to back games. They also held Maurice Jones-Drew, last years leading rusher, to only 56 yards rushing on 12 carries. They also recovered a fumble lost by Blaine Gabbert. The Bears did score three offensive touchdowns in the game, but the defense shined a tad brighter.

The Bears offense did shine in this game as well. The new Bears, Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery, have already made a huge impact and continued that in this game. Alshon Jeffery continued his impressive rookie season. He caught 2 passes for 20 yards and one touchdown. Jeffery, however, broke his hand in the fourth quarter and he could be sidelined up to six weeks.  Brandon Marshall caught a game high 12 passes for 144 yards and a touchdown as he continued to be completely in sync with quarterback Jay Cutler. The offensive line also held their ground for the second straight week, only allowing one sack.

Although the Bears record is impressive, some students don’t think their record is that impressive. When asked Kyle Murray said, “They have had the weakest schedule up to this point.” One student, on the other hand, sees where the Bears success can be attributed to. “When the offensive line does good, the rest of the team does good”, said Joe Genova.

The Bears rank number one in the league in turnovers with seventeen forced turnovers. They are currently the number four ranked defense in all the NFL. The Bears, led by Brian Urlacher and Lace Briggs, were said to be old and washed up, but so far the defense has only allowed seven offensive touchdowns to opponents. This defense, often not talked about, is currently manhandling other teams.