Last Shot For the Chargers

Last Shot For the Chargers

Joe Genova, Staff Writer

The Charger soccer team livened up their homecoming week against Gordon Tech last Thursday, with a 4-1 victory over the Rams. The team put up a good first half push led by senior forward, Octavio Gutierrez who had two goals himself. The Rams struck back in the first 60 minutes of play to make the score 2-1 going into halftime. Then the Chargers, led by sophomore Victor Moreno with two goals, put up another strong push in the second half to add to the lead and put the game out of reach.

Octavio Gutierrez gave the Chargers the early advantage by putting up two goals before the halftime buzzer. The first half performance by senior goalie, Pat Brown helped the Chargers maintain their lead going into the second half. The second half was all St. Joe’s; the sophomore forward, Victor Moreno, helped the ball find the back of the net twice, and the Charger subs held their own from there. It was a lopsided victory through poor weather conditions for the Chargers that helped them gain momentum going into playoffs with Regional Play beginning on Tuesday.

The Chargers have hosted the Regional’s the past four years and have taken the trophy all four times. This year the Chargers get a chance to make it four years in a row with a home game against Chicago Charter School in the first round of their Regional. The Chargers are seeded 2nd in the Wheaton Academy Sectional with high hopes for this post-season after losing in the Sectional Championship game last year to St. Francis of Wheaton. You can come out and support the team as they make their run for the State Championship with home games both Tuesday, October 16th and Friday, October 19th.