First Tournament For Charger’s Wrestling

Joe Genova, Staff Writer

The St. Joe’s wrestling team had their first varsity tournament of the 2012 season on Saturday, December 1st. The tournament took place at Fenton High School where the Chargers’ own Victor Johnson ’14 placed 4th out of 9 competitors in his weight class. The junior was seeded number 1 in the tournament bracket and showed he deserved it throughout the day. The rest of the team didn’t have too much luck but went home ready to work again for their next tournament.

While the boy’s varsity basketball team was at UIC for their big game against Mater Dei high school, the varsity wrestling team was at Fenton High School for their first tournament of the season. The team is led by seniors such as Jacob Estrella and Max Gonzalez, also junior Joshua Peoples, but Victor Johnson stood out from the rest by placing in fourth place at the 220 lbs weight class.

This is Johnson’s second year as a wrestler and went above his own weight class to wrestle in the 220 division. Although the Chargers were not lucky as a team, Johnson gave the squad something to be excited about. In his first match, Johnson pinned the first opponent he matched up against. The pin took place in the first round of the match. The victory gave him an automatic bid for a medal match. Even though he lost his second match he still qualified for the third place bout. Johnson put up a fight early in the match but a failed takedown led to him to fall short of the bronze. He didn’t get third place as he hoped but he still earned himself a spot on the podium.

Wrestling is overlooked because to most people it lives in the shadow of other sports, partly because it is difficult for people to understand the rules and point system. This year the Charger’s wrestling team is trying to change the way people feel about the sport by putting in work and conditioning daily. Coach Jedrey and his assistant coaches are moving forward to make St. Joseph a school of excellence not just in the classroom, in the gym, or on the field, but on the mat as well.