Chargers split games on 1/25 and 1/26

Chargers+split+games+on+1%2F25+and+1%2F26+

?????????????????

Kyle Murray, Staff Writer

Chargers Prevail in 63-44 win over conference rival St. Laurence, but lose to West Aurora in National Guard High School Hoops Showdown

The St. Joseph Chargers (13-8) defeated the St. Laurence Vikings (5-16) on Friday, January 25th 63-44 to improve to 3-1 in the conference. The then 12-8 St. Joseph Chargers were coming off a big win over Public League power Westinghouse. The Chargers have had a rough season so far not living up to their preseason ranking of seven. St. Joseph has fallen out of the rankings, but with the big win they still have hope to win the Chicago Catholic League North conference. The Chargers started the game off right leading 12-4 with still 4 minutes left to play in the first quarter. Sophomore shooting guard Jordan Ash led all scorers with 22 shooting six for nine from the field. After the nice first quarter start the Chargers never looked back, cruising to a victory that they desperately needed without ever trailing. Senior forward Ronald Lewis led all rebounders with seven. St. Laurence couldn’t get into rhythm; the Vikings couldn’t even get with in 10 the whole second half.

On Saturday, January 26th, on night after their big win over St. Laurence the St. Joseph Chargers lost the West Aurora Blackhawks 56-47. The match between legendary coaches was legendary in itself. The two coaches of these teams have a combined 80 years coaching Charger coach Gene Pingatore (43 years) and the Blackhawks Gordie Kerkman (37 years). The matchup between these elite programs and elite coaches has only taken place once before in the 1984 Class AA third place game. The only meeting between St. Joseph and West Aurora was won by Gordie Kerkman and the Blackhawks 55-54. Now again Gordie Kerkman gets the best of his legendary counterpart Gene Pingatore. The Chargers Glynn Watson led the team with 10 points, but wasn’t enough to win the game. The Chargers are now 13 and 9; with the playoffs coming up in March St. Joseph needs to get going.

The Chargers next play Friday, February 15 against Loyola. A win would secure a tie in the conference with two games to play. Go Chargers!