Soccer team wins regional championship, 16 games

Paris Morgan, Staff Writer

In the midst of all the fall athletics, the varsity soccer team got off to an amazing start. With a team of 28 people, Coach Niemiec is proud of what his team accomplished this year, winning 10 of its first 12 games and going 10-1-1 through its first 12 games en route to a 16-win season.

Coach Niemiec, who is in his sixth year as varsity coach, enjoys the motto: “Nobody likes winning more than me!” He has expressed that he has always loved the game since he played in high school and that there is no other place that he would rather be.

Last season, the Chargers ended the season with a record of 12-8-4 and were the Regional Champions for the 5th consecutive year in a row. Coach Niemiec has high expectations for his team of 28, and he is expecting to advance further this year.

“The varsity soccer team is a very good and talented one this year,” said Assistant coach Mr. Purton. “They have only lost 2 games out of 15. But if they want to go far in the state, they will have to play with intensity and attack with speed.”

Freshman, Dylan Robledo, is grateful to be surrounded around so many amazing young men. Coach Niemiec has definitely rubbed off on him as he states, “Hard work pays off.”

The soccer team has become his second family, and soccer has also made his transition to high school ten times easier.

The Chargers finished with an overall record of 16-4-3 and won a regional championship. Their season came to an end with a 4-2 loss to Kennedy in the Riverside-Brookfield Sectional Semifinal.