Boys basketball continues strong season

Kyle Murray, Staff Writer

Friday, December 6 was the Boys’ Varsity Basketball home opener, one of only five home games this year. This comes on the heels of the Chargers winning all four of their previous games at the St. Charles East Tournament during Thanksgiving break, while winning the tournament.

Junior Glynn Watson led the way for the Chargers as they flew by the St. Francis de Sales Pioneers in the season’s home opener and a Chicago Catholic League battle. Watson led all scorers with 18 points and contributed 8 assists and 2 steals.

St. Joseph was looking a bit rattled as the Pioneers took a 20-19 lead going into the second quarter.

Then, everything changed. A monstrous one-handed slam by junior guard Jordan Ash midway through the second quarter boosted the Chargers to a 40-28 halftime lead and they never looked back.

The third of the junior trio, Joffrey Brown, added 16 points and 7 rebounds. On top of that, 6-9 sophomore Nick Rakocevic was another factor in the game, especially because of the limited size the Pioneers had to offer.

The Chargers improved their record to 5-0, and began their Chicago Catholic League season on the right foot, opening at 1-0.

The Chargers only have four more games and the Proviso West Tournament in the month of December with one of the games being in Indianapolis against Thomas Carr Howe Community High school. 

With the playoffs approaching, the Chargers – who remain in the hunt for the CCL title – have been a top 20-ranked team all season.