Football team enjoying solid start, newfound confidence

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Chargers have won two of their first three games

Grace Genova, Staff Writer

All Coach Griffin expects from his football team this year is that they compete in every game they play. He has no expectations regarding the amount wins and losses, all he wants is that they play hard every game and never quit.

“Every year we get new players and every new season is a better season,” coach Griffin said. “This year, we have a lot of young talent which means we will just continue to grow and improve over the next few years. Junior quarterback and wide receiver Chris Morrow and Willie Eiland have really stepped up to the plate to help lead the team this season.”

That leadership has helped the Chargers to a 2-1 start to the season, including a 47-0 shutout over Kelvyn Park in our home opener and a forfeit victory over St. Francis de Sales.

So far the Charger football team has played in two games. Coach was pleased with the first game against Elmwood Park High School, despite a 13-8 loss in which the Chargers held the lead at halftime.

“We had the lead until late into the fourth quarter, but ended up coming short 13-8.  The defense definitely proved their strengths in this game,” coach Griffin said. “Armone Elem had a great game with 13 carries and he ran for over 100 yards–including an 86 yard touchdown run.”

Coach Griffin added “we need to work on the fundamentals of the game and learn to deal with certain situations during a game.” He believes this will be the key to their success.

The second game went even better than the first, ending with a Charger shutout win over Kelvyn Park High School. Elem really outshone himself once again with a 68 yard punt return touchdown and three rushing touchdowns. Quarterback Chris Morrow and sophomore running back Donavon Lee also scored. Sophomore kicker Julian Carmona went five for six for extra points, which set a new school record. This was St. Joseph’s first shutout in a football game since the early 2000s. It was really an all-around great game.

The Chargers host Leo on Sept. 19 at 7:30 p.m. for Homecoming.