Blackhawks keep momentum going into December

Tessa Martyn, Correspondent

On November 9, Artemi Panarin recorded his first career Gordie Howe hat trick against the St. Louis Blues. For those of you that don’t know what a Gordie Howe hat trick is, let me pass on some hockey knowledge to you. A Gordie Howe hat trick is when a player records a goal, an assist and a fight all in one game. They named it after Gordie Howe to recognize his skills in both scoring and fighting.

Panarin scored the game winning goal after coming out of the penalty box after a 5-minute major for fighting Scottie Upshall. Earlier in the game, he also got an assist from Marian Hossa’s goal and was one of the key players in the Blackhawks victory against the St. Louis Blues on November 9.

Another superstar that deserves recognition is Patrick “Showtime” Kane with his highlight reel goal – a definite goal of the year contender. Late in the 2nd period of the November 13 game against the Montreal Canadiens, the game was tied and the Blackhawks were facing former teammates Andrew “The Mutt” Shaw and Phillip Danault.

Kaner scored an unbelievable goal! Let me walk you through this highlight reel goal… Kaner undressed a Canadiens defender in front of the net with a smooth toe drag, drew a penalty, and while trying to fend off a different defender, he fired an off balance shot at the Chicago native Al Montoya’s glove and ignited a roar in the sold out crowd of 21,762 fans at the United Center. Everyone was in awe even – goalie Al Montoya! At the beginning of the game, the Blackhawks payed tribute to one of the most beloved bullies on the Montreal Canadiens, former teammate Andrew Shaw who also received a standing ovation from the fans.

They also honored Denis Savard before the game when they launched the new campaign “One More Shift.” This new campaign recognizes past alumni and allows them to skate one more time.

Also, Age is just a number for number 81. Marian Hossa has been on fire this season!!! Hossa has recorded 11 goals, 6 assists and 17 points just in the span of 22 games. Three of those 11 goals have been game-winning goals where he has come in clutch and lead the Blackhawks to victory. Marian Hossa, The 37-year-old forward intends to play out his full contract, which has 4 years left and doesn’t plan on retiring anytime soon. By the time his contract is up, he will be 42 years of age and in the hockey world that kind of longevity isn’t too common. Jaromir Jagr (44), Shane Doan(40), and Matt Cullen(40) are three players in the NHL today that are 40 or over. Only 16 skaters have ever played at that age in the NHL. Marian Hossa has had an amazing season so far and hasn’t appeared to hit a wall in his hockey career yet so if he can continue to produce this type of game play until age 42, then that’ll put him in a special league of players and hopefully help produce a couple more deep playoff runs for his team in the future.

This month, the most promising rookie in my opinion that will excel throughout the season would be the Chicago native, Vinnie Hinostroza. This is his second season with the Chicago Blackhawks and he seems to fit right in. He scored his first NHL career goal on Saturday, November 19 against the Vancouver Canucks.

Once again, the MVP of the month award goes to Corey Crawford. He has been consistently stellar so far this season with his impeccable goaltending skills. Scott Darling, who is the backup goalie for the Chicago Blackhawks is also doing a great job! Keep on watching!