Bear Down? Or Bears Down? It’s more like Bears Recovering

Anthony Calabrese, Correspondent

The Chicago Bears have improved from last year’s terrible 3-13 season. They now have a record of 3-5, already having as many wins as they did last year. Their 27-24 overtime win over the Baltimore Ravens and 17-3 victory over the Carolina Panthers mark the Bears’ first two-game win streak since November 2015. A loss against the New Orleans Saints ended hope of a three-game win streak, which would have been the Bears first since September of 2013.

The leading factor for their win against the Panthers was the defense, who scored all the Bears’ touchdowns. They held Panthers halfback Jonathan Stewart to only 48 yards and only allowed three points during the entire game. A big reason for this was the takeaways they had. They had two interceptions, one from Danny Trevathan and another from Eddie Jackson, which he returned for a touchdown. Jackson also picked up a ball that Curtis Samuel fumbled and took it to the end zone for a second touchdown. Jackson, who the Bears picked up in the fourth round of the 2017 NFL Draft, is the first player to ever score multiple 75-plus-yard defensive touchdowns in NFL history.

While the Bears’ defense excelled, their offense seemed lacking, scoring only three points. Jordan Howard, the second-leading rusher in the 2016 season, had only 65 yards. This is disappointing, considering the 167-yard game he had the week prior. Mitchell Trubisky, who the bears drafted second overall in the draft, went four for seven in passing attempts with 85 yards. “The human joystick” Tarik Cohen had only one touch, which was a 70-yard reception. That drive, however, only resulted in a field goal.