Struggling Blackhawks hit low-point of Kane-Toews era, look to rebound

Tessa Martyn, Staff writer

A month ago, The Blackhawks scored a total of 15 goals within their first two games of the season. Pucks were flying, spin-o-rama’s, tic-tac-toe passing and odd-man rushes were happening, what a way to start the season off right?

The month of November has been a little different, as the boys have been lifeless in their last few games to say the least. The main culprit has been their offense. A few months into the past three seasons, the Hawks have a pattern of getting into a slump. These slumps varied from October to early January and were quickly corrected in the early months of December and January.

As for the rest of the season, I think every Blackhawks fan is hoping and praying that this game play isn’t permanent and that they will soon break out in the months ahead. For Chicago Blackhawks fans, patience is crucial for this part of the season. It wasn’t too long ago that our Blackhawks made hockey look easy, with their amount of talent, work ethic and trust in each other.

Our Blackhawks were a stoic group, unruffled, or phased by any issue that came up while they were on the ice. If they were losing, they would find a way to come back. If they were leading, well they wouldn’t blow a lead, they would hold onto it for dear life. When one teammate was struggling, they would pick up the slack..

On another note, the star of the month award goes to Corey Crawford. His game play has been stellar and impressive throughout the last few games. On November 25th, Corey Crawford picked up a win in his 400th career game. He now joins Tony Esposito (873), Glenn Hall (618), and Eddie Belfour (415) as the only Blackhawks’ goalies with 400+ games played. Also on November 25th, Patrick Kane’s point streak was extended to four goals and four assists in six games. He is six goals away from 300 career goals and he’s 4 goals away from tying Dennis Hull for fifth all-time in Blackhawks history.

After a loss to the Capitals on Wednesday night and another recent loss to the L.A. Kings, the Hawks sit in sixth place of seven teams in the Central Division, with just the Colorado Avalanche keeping them from the basement. Following their fifth straight loss – the worst such run of the Jonathan Toews/Patrick Kane era – the Hawks are stuck with 29 points in 28 games, which puts them just one point ahead of the Avs and three points out of a playoff spot (the second wild card spot at that).

On a positive note, rookie Alex Debrincat, also known as “The Cat,” continues to impress as he set a Hawks rookie record with 10 goals in the month of November. His game play continues to impress and have a positive effect on the team.

The team has some work to do but hopefully come playoffs they can succeed in the way that Blackhawks fans know they are capable of.