Bears look to improve on last year with strong draft

Anthony Calabrese, Correspondent

The 2018 NFL Draft has come to an end. It was an historic draft in many ways. With the preseason getting closer and closer, we now know what the future holds for all of our NFL teams.

The first pick of the draft was Baker Mayfield, a quarterback from the University of Oklahoma. He was the winner of the Heisman Trophy in 2017, and he was drafted by the Cleveland Browns. He is a very good quarterback, but many are concerned about his behavioral issues, as he has had a number of incidents, including an arrest. Hopefully, for Cleveland’s sake, Mayfield cleans up his act and ends the streak of bad first round draft picks for the Browns.

With the second pick, the New York Giants drafted Saquan Barkley, arguably the best player of the draft. He is a halfback from Penn State, and is a fantastic all-round football player. Three more quarterbacks were drafted in the first ten picks: Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, and Josh Rosen. All three of these guys look to have a bright future ahead of them. This is the first time that four quarterbacks were drafted within the first ten picks.

The Chicago Bears did a good job in this draft. Going into it, their needs were to get weapons for Mitchell Trubisky (wide receivers), linebackers, and offensive and defensive linemen.

The first pick for Chicago was Roquan Smith, a linebacker. This was an excellent pick. Smith was seen as one of the best defensive players in this draft, so it was good that the Bears got him with the 8th pick.

The second pick was James Daniels, an offensive lineman. This was a steal in the draft, with Daniels being considered one of the best centers in college. He will probably move to play guard in the NFL, and hopefully he will have the same success he had in college.

With the third pick, the Bears traded up in the draft to select Anthony Miller, a wide receiver. This was a decent pick, considering they needed wide receivers, and it appears that Miller will be a big part of the offense. Chicago’s receiving corps is turning out to be one of the best in the league.

The fourth pick is a little confusing. They drafted Joel Iyiegbuniwe, another linebacker. Seeming that they just filled in their linebacker spot with Barkley, I don’t see how he will fit into the defense.

Chicago’s last three picks were successful. They picked up Bilal Nichols, a defensive tackle, Kylie Fitts, a defensive end, and Javon Wims, another wide receiver. These three, along with the first four, have the chance and the potential to change the face of the Chicago Bears franchise, and turn this team around. We can only hope.