Bears holding on to first place at halfway point of season

Jacob Garza, Staff writer

Bear down Chicago, it’s time for another crazy football season here in the Windy City. Second year quarterback Mitchell Trubisky and new head coach Matt Nagy look to bring some noise in the NFC North this year, along being a possible contender for the playoffs.

The Chicago Bears opened the season with a classic NFC Divisional matchup against their arch rivals the Green Bay Packers. Trubisky and the Bears opened with a 20-0 lead over the Green Bay Packers, with the addition of QB Aaron Rodgers injured in the first half. Heading into the second half things changed.

Aaron Rodgers returned and started to do Aaron Rodger things…. The Green Bay Packers were able to close back in and eventually beat the Bears 24-23. Oh boy, every Bear fan thought it’s going to be yet again another one of those years

However, the Bears won their next three games, but losses against the Dolphins and Patriots brought them back to 3-3. Last Sunday the Bears had an impressive win over the Jets, 24-10 and were able to take the division lead.

“I am very impressed with this Bears team, there is still much to do, but I believe we are heading into the right direction”, said head coach Matt Nagy. Matt Nagy is a first-year head coach for the Chicago, but from his experience from working with Kansas City Coach, Andy Reid, he is bringing some of that aggressive play calling to Chicago.

The Chicago Bears are really going to show if they are a threat to the NFL playoffs this year when they play three divisional games in a row. First, they play the Bills, then the Lions, Vikings, then the Lions again on Thanksgiving Day. However, heading into those games, the Bears sit in first place in the NFC North, so their fate sits in their own hands. The Vikings and Packers have both been playing mediocre football to this point, so the division is there for the taking.

Those games are absolutely crucial for the Bears, ending the season with the Packers and Vikings, these games can determine if the Bears are a legit playoff team come down to playoff time.