Chargers hold off De La Salle and improve to 5-2

Sun Times

Kyle Murray, Staff Writer

Last Friday, the St. Joseph Chargers beat the De la Salle Meteors 62-52; it was a very close game throughout until Paul Turner buried a three with 5minutes left. A 47-36 Charger lead was dwindling down when De la Salle went on an 11 point run. With a little over five minutes left in the contest Paul Turner (14 points) hit a big three to stop the run and give St. Joseph a 50-46 lead. After the shot the Chargers never looked back to extend their record to five and two with a 62-52 win that also gave long time coach Gene Pingatore his 897th career win. Pingatore has been coaching the chargers for 42 years and is the all time winningest coach in Illinois history.

The Chargers opened the game strong with 22 first quarter points, even with starting point guard Glynn Watson in foul trouble. Loren Horton (point guard) and A.J Patty (center) went 8-8 in the first quarter, giving St. Joseph a 22-10 lead. The Chargers then cooled off going into half with a slim lead. De La Salle stayed with St. Joseph behind Alvin Ellis’ 25 points.

Even with the Meteors run in the second half the Chargers never trailed in the game. Senior Loren Horton said “We had lost the [big] lead, but we knew we could get it back with some good defense. They had some shooters, so we had to key on them.” It was a whole team effort as the Chargers now ranked 8th in the state of Illinois improved to 5-2. St. Joseph has the Proviso West Tournament coming up; the tournament has expanded to 32 teams, and the Chargers play their first game against Manley on Wednesday December 26th. First though the Chargers have Providence Catholic High School on Friday in New Lenox.