St. Joseph receives visit from WCIU, earns day off of school

WCIU’s Jon Hansen interviews Ahmad Muhammad and Quincy Sowell.

Dakota Church, Correspondent

On Friday, January 27, the Fenwick Friars came to town in a huge rivalry game.  The hype was not only at the game, but early in the morning, also.

That was because students arrived at school before 6 a.m. for a big opportunity.

WCIU, also known as The U, did a segment with our school in preparation for the big game.  Host Jon Hansen conducted interviews with players such as Ahmad Muhamad (junior), Jalen Boyd (junior), and Jordan Boyd (junior). They talked about the importance of this rivalry, with Muhamad calling it a “legendary” game.

Students participated in a “knockout” game, as well, with Hansen, and the host also danced with the dance team to the school fight song.

Students were involved throughout the entire telecast and appeared to be into despite being in the building from 6 a.m. onward.

“I thought it was a really cool thing to be a part of, I really liked being a part of the show,” said Jake Hansen, a senior. “The atmosphere was electric, everyone was going crazy.  It was just a really great day.”

While everyone was pumped for the game, unfortunately, that night, the Chargers struggled as Fenwick won, jumping out early and holding a 20-plus lead throughout the entire contest before finally winning 66-51.