Fresh face brings old-school approach to Charger soccer program

The Chargers in action recently.

The Chargers in action recently.

The Chargers in action recently.

Marissa Arreola, Staff writer

The St. Joseph soccer team this year has quite a few things going for them. First and for most, the new head coach, Matt Sinacore is working hard to keep things refreshing for the boys, but keep the spirit of St. Joseph soccer alive and well.

“As an alum, I want to bring back what was going on as I was a player for the Chargers. It means a lot to be part of this school’s history so I want to make sure the current players understand that,” Sincaore says.

As of right now, the boys have won 2 of their 7 conference games and have won 7 of their 17 games overall this season. It’s obvious they’re working hard to keep their reputation up. Team Captains Joseph Stiso (18’) and Elijah Wooten (18’) are especially concerned about regionals this year.

“We want to do our part as seniors to keep the legacy of regional champs going,” Stiso says.

“It’s important to us that we continue to work as team to meet our goals,” Wooten adds.

A win that cannot go unnoticed this season was against Evergreen Park in the Pepsi Tournament. As Sinacore would go on to describe it as his proudest moment of the season, the boys went on to blow Evergreen out of the park in a nail-biting 4-2 win.

“My proudest moment has to be when we were down 0-2 to Evergreen Park in the Pepsi Tournament. After a number of tough losses, you could expect heads to go down as we could have easily lost. However, our team stepped up and we scored 4 unanswered goals in less than 15 minutes. It really defined us as a team,” Sinacore explained.

As many members of the St. Joseph community would agree, Sinacore affirmed, “We’re not easy to play against when we all do our jobs on the field.”

Coach Sinacore’s first win as head coach came on Aug. 28 as the Chargers beat Proviso West 2-1. Nick Dowdle and Jose Salizar scored for St. Joseph, with Elijah Wooten leading the attack, netting an assist while spearheading the Charger offense.

On Sept. 16, the Chargers won their second game in a row at the PepsiCo Tournament as they defeat Juarez 3-2 (going 3-1 on PKs). Goals from Seniors Elijah Wooten (assisted by Rron Baraku) and Joe Stiso (assisted by Oziel Hernández) allowed Junior goalkeeper Jacob Garza to be the hero and make three pentalty saves in a row.

On Sept. 14, in the first game at the PepsiCo Tournament, the Chargers showed heart by coming back from a two-goal deficit to 4-2 against Evergreen Park. Beginning the onslaught, which saw the Chargers score four times in 16 minutes, was Rron Baraku, who scored twice and added a helper in the win.

On Sept. 7, the Chargers took down Montini 5-4 in penalty kicks after playing to a 2-2 draw in regulation. Stiso and Wooten scored for the Chargers in regulation. Stiso gave the Chargers some life after missing the first few games of the season with an injury.

The Chargers second win of the year came on Aug. 30 as they beat North Chicago, shutting them out 1-0 in their first game at the Wauconda Tournament. Wooten scored the game’s lone goal as Carlos Gomez got the shutout in net.

• Fresh face brings old-school approach to Charger soccer program

Top Stories

Wanna Get Away? Here’s our list of the best places to go for Christmas Break

Top Stories

The best tunes to get you in the Christmas Spirit

Top Stories

Getting in the Holiday Spirit – Our ranking of the best Christmas movies

Top Stories

Helping those in need, one meal at a time

Top Stories

St. Joseph honors those stricken with breast cancer with awareness day

Top Stories

Movin’ on Up

Top Stories

Keeping our Students safe

Top Stories

Seniors readying themselves for the next level

Top Stories

Lights! Camera! (Almost Time for) Action!

Top Stories

Football team at .500; looking to reach playoffs again