St. Joseph students partake in nationwide walkout over school safety

Lelia Rodgers-Young, Correspondent

On February 14, 2017, 19 year-old Nikolas Cruz made his way into Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida with an AR-15 rifle, killing 17 students and faculty members. The remaining students, faculty members, and their families are now fighting to enforce gun laws in America. With this, they encouraged a national school walk-out. In this walk-out, students and teachers will drop everything and walk out of their schools on March 14 at 10 a.m., and stand for 17 minutes to honor the ones killed in the tragedy. And your St. Joseph Chargers did just that.

This powerful movement was not only to remember the ones who lost their lives, but to show that we aren’t going to stop fighting until there are regulations on gun laws in the United States. The St. Joseph community walked out and walked around the school for the 17 minutes. Chargers were encouraged to make posters, speaking their minds about the fight to stop the gun violence. To my surprise, I saw several students participating in the walk-out. Students were taking the walk very seriously, holding up handmade signs, using power stances, as well as vocally expressing their anger. This walk-out gave the students a chance to finally have a voice, while learning and fighting for a good cause.