Chargers’ soccer season ends early, sets up promise for future


Jacob Garza, Staff writer

It was a very hard-fought battle, but the St. Joseph boys’ soccer team fell a kick short. The Chargers had their season put to a close a few weeks ago in a “wild card” game, a regional play-in contest on Oct. 6. The Chargers lost 5-3 on penalty kicks, (2-1) being the final score.

The Chargers were playing at even pace to their opponent, with lots of good chances from forwards Allen Serrano and Jacob Garza. With an injury to the Chargers backline, a freshman named Julio had to come up big in a playoff situation. Midfielders Christopher Perez and Hugo Lopez were able to control the pace of the game through the middle and feed the forwards.

Late in the second half, Garza drew a foul on the right side of the eighteen-yard box. Perez took the free kick, with people scrabbling in front of the net, Garza was able to get a little flick of the ball with his head and directed it past the goalie for the opening goal, putting the Chargers up 1-0.

Senior Goalkeeper Carlos Gomez made some great saves in the second, but conceded a goal late and the game ended regulation tied 1-1. Junior Tank Hanson was big in the final minutes controlling the backline and keeping the tie. The game was heading into overtime. A hard fought five minute have been not enough, it was time for penalty kicks.

Unfortunately, it was not enough, after missing two penalties, the Chargers suffered defeat. Despair and disappointed, and seniors filled with emotions, the Chargers clapped off their fans and walked away for the last time, and for the seniors the last time forever.

“I am very proud of these young men, they played their heart out, and all-season long. It is unfortunate for it to end this way, but I want these men to know that I am proud of them and everybody is proud of them,” said head coach Matt Sinacore.

The Charger soccer team only hopes that they made their coaches and fans proud, and hope for another entertaining season next year.