Outmanned girls’ hoops’ squad still impresses

Back to Article
Back to Article

Keri Mirabelli, Correspondent

The St. Joseph Lady Chargers finished their season in the second round of regionals on February 15.

They started off their regionals by beating Elmwood Park, 51-24. They then advanced to the Regional Championship game, falling short to Peyton College Prep 44-39.

The Lady Chargers ended with a record of 12-18 and ended 5th in their conference. The Chargers did this, ultimately, with only seven players, only two of whom – Hannah Boykin-Williams and Jade Link – were seniors.

The top three in scoring for the season were, Kerilyn Mirabelli (408 points), Hannah Boykin-Williams (383), and Nessa Walsh (239 points). The top three in rebounding were, Kerilyn Mirabelli (214 rebounds), Hannah Boykin-Williams (136 rebounds), Nessa Walsh (133 rebounds).

New players like sophomores Ciara Banks and Sisi Gomez, and freshman Isabella Collazo also stepped up to the plate knowing their team depended on them and showed great confidence in themselves.

Boykin-Williams and Link showed great leadership skills in leading their team to many successes, giving them the confidence, they needed to play in such important games. This year’s small team consisting of 2 seniors, 4 sophomores, and 1 freshman showed determination and teamwork with several of their losses being by only a few points.

The team showed their endurance and strength of the team as they matched up against many teams consisting of many more players.

“I was proud of the hard work the girls put in. This was a good season, I look forward to seeing the girls come back next year better, and stronger than ever,” said head coach Drew Winston.

The team appreciates the support of family, friends, and staff who came out to the games. Although the season didn’t end as they hoped, it ended with strong commitment to each other and the school.